Reporting to the Director of Nursing, the Clinical Scholar is an experienced RN with frontline hospital practice experience who will support new nurses as well as nurses looking to upskill their nursing knowledge and practice. This position involves on-unit mentoring, coaching and supporting of the unit nurses in order to enhance current program service delivery, care as well as champion patient safety and best practices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Practice in accordance with the standards set by the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) and the various organizational standards and policies.
- Liaise between program leadership, Professional Practice, and other stakeholders to identify program needs and to implement strategies to meet those needs
- Support existing on-unit orientation processes (including supporting nurses and their buddy nurse) by provision of at elbow support and guidance.
- Create opportunities (formal and informal) for new staff to develop critical thinking skills (ie. On unit huddles, one to one skill building, etc.)
- Work with unit staff to integrate best practice into daily routine such as ie. Medication scanning, use of the Recovery Plan of Care, therapeutic interactions, etc.
- Maintain regular unit presence to mentor and support ongoing educational needs, track skill progression, and provide ongoing feedback to unit nurse
- Be flexible and adaptable in scheduling to meet the needs of unit nurses on various shifts
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills Abilities and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing required. CPMHN(C) certification would be an asset.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) in good standing.
- Currently hold a part time or full time position within the organization.
- Current CPR certificate.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in nursing with recent hospital clinical experience in mental health and addictions.
- Demonstrated leadership, program development and evaluation and change management skills
- Knowledge and understanding of the practice standards set out by the College of Nurses of Ontario with experience in the interpretation and implementation of College Standards within hospital setting
- Previous experience as a preceptor/mentor/clinical instructor
- Excellent organization, interpersonal, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Outstanding communication skills—oral and written
- Proven ability to work effectively with all members of the health care team.
- Demonstrate ability to be flexible and adapt to changing circumstances and situations
- Expert level of clinical proficiency with Meditech functionality
- English level A- is mandatory in oral expression, comprehension, reading and writing.
- Bilingual (French/English) level A- is considered an asset.