|POSITION:||Patient Care Aide|
|DEPARTMENT:||A4 Rehabilitation / Transition to Home|
7.5 hours per shift (subject to change)
Scale Minimum Maximum
CUPE22 $23.13/hr $24.39/hr
- The purpose of this position is to provide support services to the interdisciplinary team and patients, contributing to the efficiency and the quality of patient care. Under the delegation and guidance of the Nurse, Charge Nurse and/or Care Facilitator, the Patient Care Aide will assist the team as appropriate, responding to patient needs or tasks that require attention.
- Assisting Nursing and interdisciplinary staff with care of patients, ambulation and repositioning
- Assisting with bed linen changes for occupied beds & completing bed linen changes for unoccupied beds
- Transporting patients within the unit by means of wheelchair, stretcher and as a walking escort as directed.
- Responding to call bells as appropriate
- Assisting with hand hygiene before meals & clearing patient belongings on over-bed tables at meal times to ensure timely delivery of meal trays
- Transporting discharged patients to Hospital entrance as required
- Providing patient sitter functions on occasion, as directed
- Monitoring and replenishing patient safety supplies such as hand sanitizer in bed brackets, patient restraints, eyewash bottles, etc.
- Monitoring and restocking non-stores items in the clean supply room according to unit’s established lists and procedures
- Replenishing supplies on isolation and nursing carts, warming cupboards and/or Nurse Servers, and other special procedure and/or supply totes/carts
- Adopting clear lines of communication that promote effective team work among all staff and support patient care
- Participate in unit / corporate related programs such as: OHS Initiatives, WHMIS, Lifts and Transfers training, Mask fit testing, orientation of new staff, Daily CPI huddles, etc.
- Demonstrates QCH values: accountability, innovation and respect
- Grade 12 education
- Knowledge acquired through the successful completion of an accredited health related course (eg: Personal Support Worker, Developmental Support Worker, Internationally Educated Health Care Professional, or equivalent)
- Able to maintain effective relationships with the unit team members to assist in promoting efficient operations within the unit
- Good organizational skills
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Able to maintain effective relationships and collaborate with and support health care team
- Valid CPR certification level C
- Regular and reliable attendance at work