At Extendicare, we believe that working as a team and celebrating achievements creates an environment that allows us to reach our potential. As a valued member of our culinary team, you will assume ultimate responsibility for providing high quality care while maintaining a safe and healthy environment for residents and staff. Reporting to the Dietary Manager, a cook follows established policies, procedures, and standards, prepares, and serves food for the residents, including the more complex meal preparation for the facility (dinner, sauces, desserts etc.), cleans production area and equipment. If you’re passionate about a team that is committed to quality care and driven by innovation and growth, join us!
This position is for our Laurie Home, located in Gloucester, Ontario.
Available opportunities include Full Time; Day shift
What you’ll be doing:
- Reviews regular and therapeutic menus and sets up equipment and supplies for food preparation. Prepares food and nourishments including evening meal following standardized recipes and production sheets. Provides for prescribed diets, including variations in texture. Ensures meals are served on time, at appropriate temperatures and in portion-controlled quantities.
- In the absence of the Dietary Manger, decides on menu changes as necessary and ensures that changes are recorded following department procedures.
- Monitor’s quality and quantity of food supplies ordered, proper operation of kitchen equipment and alerts Manager of problems. Recommends corrective action.
- Directs Dietary Aides in basic food preparation procedures and in serving activities at mealtimes; assumes responsibility for routine departmental operations in the absence of the Dietary Manager, including staff replacements and service calls for malfunctioning equipment.
- Maintains all required records such as menu changes, delivery receipts, temperature checks; cooperates with other departments to meet resident needs.
What you bring:
- Chef training or culinary management certificate or diploma from a program that meets the requirements of the OLTCH Act, or
- Certificate of qualification as a Cook issued by an authority meeting the requirements of the OLTCH Act, or
- Post-secondary diploma in food and nutrition management or a post-secondary degree in food and nutrition
- “Red Seal” certification preferred
- Experience in institutional large quantity cooking preferred
- Abilit to work safely, following established safety practices and procedures
- Ability to read and write English, and understand moderately complex verbal and written instructions in English
- Proven ability to provide direction and lead others within a busy environment.
- Current Food Handler`s Certificate
What you’ll get:
- Continuous mentorship, support for life-long learning and growth opportunities
- Opportunities for advancement and career growth within the organization
- A rewarding and meaningful work experience where you can enrich your life and the lives of others
- Employee Family Assistance Program
- Robust benefits package.
Extendicare is a leading provider of care and services for seniors throughout Canada. Through our network of over 115 operated senior care and living centres, as well as our home health care operations, we are committed to delivering care throughout the health care continuum to meet the needs of a growing seniors’ population in Canada. Our qualified and highly trained workforce of 23,700 individuals are united by a dedication to quality care and by our vision of being the best provider of senior care and services in Canada.
Interested applicants should forward their resume to the attention of:
Melissa Farley, Dietary Manager, Extendicare Laurie
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Extendicare’s Policies on Accommodation, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of Extendicare’s hiring process.
Extendicare recognizes the importance of immunization to protect our residents, patients, team members and visitors from COVID-19. As such, subject to medical exemptions, a condition of employment with Extendicare is requiring that all new hires have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
View all careers available at : Extendicare.