- Day Shift Monday through Friday – Schedule subject to change
As part of the Cornwall Community Hospital, you will uphold the mission, vision and ICARE values in order to create a safe environment for patients, families, staff, physicians and volunteers, recognizing “Patient Safety” and “Our People” as priorities in creating a culture of safety and a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion. Cornwall Hospital is committed to providing an accessible work environment. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment/selection process.
Summary of responsibilities
Reporting to the Vice President of Patient Services and Chief Nursing Officer, the Director, Acute Medicine and Critical Care Services assumes a key leadership role on both a program level for Acute Medicine and Critical Care Services at CCH.
The Director is responsible for strategic planning, financial and human resource management within the allocated budgets, developing a clinical care/service delivery model and providing guidance, assistance, and oversight to the managers, staff and physicians to ensure the programs provide exceptional people-centred care, aligned with our strategic directions and professional practice model. The Director develops departmental operational goals in alignment with the corporate operating plan, develops and monitors outcome measurements for quality improvement, risk management and patient and staff safety.
Requirements of the job
• Ensures that strategic and quality improvement plans for departments meet regulatory requirements, accreditation/Health Quality Ontario standards, best practice guidelines and the mission, vision and values of the hospital
• Manages patient complaints that cannot be resolved at the managers’ level or critical/sentinel incidents in a timely manner and in collaboration with the Quality and Risk and VP
• Develops quality indicators for the programs, monitors progress on a quarterly basis and presents to the Quality Improvement Committee on a rotational basis.
• Participates in the development and implementation of the Enterprise Risk Management Program
• Works collaboratively with other directors/managers within the hospital to achieve departmental and hospital wide quality and satisfaction goals. Consistently strive to meet the changing needs of the areas served
• Evaluates and analyzes data to ensure resources allocation is appropriate and information, supplies and equipment are available to support service delivery
• Supports the development and communication of emergency response plans for pandemic, disasters, evacuation for the departments, ensuring alignment with hospital plans
• Develops and participates in professional development plan for self
• Ensures that the site and satellite offices are maintained so that staff can complete their work in an efficient and safe manner
• Liaise with other hospital departments to ensure excellence in communication for smooth operations (e.g., contracts are maintained and revised; finance is kept abreast of important developments that may impact budget; psychiatrists are paid according to accepted guidelines; etc.)
• Successful completion of a Master’s degree in Nursing, Health Administration or Health related discipline
• Registered with a regulatory college authorized to perform the controlled act of Psychotherapy
Key skills or competencies
• Demonstrated clinical and administrative leadership and project management skills
• A track record of project, quality improvement, and patient safety initiative management success in hospitals
• Knowledge and experience with budgets and fiscal accountability
• Knowledge and experience working in health care settings and a minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership experience
• Ability to hire, train, supervise and retain qualified management staff
• Knowledge of and ability to work with community agencies, hospitals, and the broader community
• Ability to prioritize needs and organize work efficiently
• Knowledge of information management and evaluation activities
• Knowledge and experience working with an electronic health record
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite of software programs
• Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable means of transportation on a regular basis
• Bilingualism in French and English is an asset