Occupational Health Nurse
Occupational Health & Safety Services
Temporary full-time for approximately six (6) months
Approximately 75.0 bi-weekly hours
Days / Evenings/ Weekends
7.5hrs per shift (subject to change)
Scale Minimum Maximum
NONU $42.39/hr $50.82/hr
- Provide primary care with the goal to prevent complications, promote recovery and facilitate rehabilitation of both occupational and non-occupational illness and injury. Effectiveness in this role has a direct impact on costs associated with absenteeism, WSIB and LTD claims.
- Assess and provide first aid to injured and ill employees; provide care to volunteers, students and contract workers
- Perform Initial Health reviews of employees and provide immunization as required by the OHA/OMA Communicable Disease Surveillance Protocol legislation.
- Manage / monitor employees’ ability to perform job tasks. Provide early intervention along with accomodated work plans including coordinating medical treatment by identfying a need for redirection of treatement to effectively manage lost time and absenteeism. Wrok with Human Resources in the management of sick leave and safe return to work programs.
- Manage Occupational Health maintenance programs such as screening and monitoring of health conditions (ie. needle stick injuries, chemical exposure) to minimize the risks associated with potential workplace hazards.
- Increase employees’ awareness of wellness initiatives to facilitate healthy lifestyles e.g. Promotion of EFAP, Health Fairs, Influenza vaccination program.
- Demonstrate QCH values: accountability, innovation, respect
- Requires BSc in Nusing or diploma in Occupational Health Nurse experience, certification of competence from College of Nurses and Certification in Occupational Health Nursing (candidates with certification in process will be considered)
- Two years experience in an Occupational Health setting
- A current Canadian Nurses Association speciality certification in Occupational Health or a commitment to obtaining a certification within 3 years of beginning employment
- Five years experience in a Community and/or Occupational Health Setting
- Occupational Health and Safety experience in a health care environment
- Five years active clinical experience in an acute care setting
- Certification / Training in Disability Management
- Knowledge of Parklane, Meditech and Microsoft Office Programs
- Experience in training and education of workers regarding job safety
- Knowledge of disabilty management principles and practices, medical surveillance principles, adult education, presentation skills, computers, immunology, epidemiology and statistical analysis
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act