Under general direction of the Vice President, Project Development & Construction, Project Manager (PM) is the primary point of contact for assigned construction projects with a development value in the range of $25 million to over $100 million as part of Extendicare’s Long-Term Care Redevelopment program.
This position is a remote opportunity with travel required to locations in Northern Ontario. The ideal candidate will be located within the Sudbury, ON or Ottawa, ON area.
The incumbent will have a broad knowledge of various disciplines and is responsible for providing their professional opinion on structural, technological, mechanical, electrical and building systems. In addition, s/he provides expert professional advice and shares specialist knowledge on dealing with challenging and significantly complex construction project implementation issues, including construction phasing and scheduling, and recommends innovative approaches and/or solutions.
The PM manages changes in project scope, identifies potential risks and devises contingency plans while adhering to overarching goals of keeping the project on time and budget within the agreed upon scope.
The Project Manager will have the following responsibilities and qualifications:
- Act as the primary liaison with the contractor, and project team and ensure close client relationships are maintained
- Maintain a good understanding of the project scope and when changes to the scope occur, negotiate solutions to ensure outcomes meet client expectations and contractual obligations
- Engage in the early feasibility of projects.
- Assemble request for proposals for required consulting services. Formalize contracts in accordance with industry standards.
- Manage and coordinate the consultants.
- Complete the due diligence requirements associated with the municipality, stakeholders and any requirements for zoning, severance, site plan approvals, etc.
- Assemble tender documents required for various forms of construction contracts.
- Depending on the strategy for each build, the Project Manager will act as Extendicare’s Agent for the following types of contracts: Construction Management, Design Build, Lump Sum, GMP or a modified/hybrid version best suited for the project.
- Make recommendation, award and formalize contracts.
- Liaise with third party cost consultants as required by internal, lenders or other stakeholders.
- Review all security, insurance and other requirements necessary to facilitate each project and the specific contractual requirements.
- Manage any communication requirements as a requirement of governance mandates, internal mandates or other.
- Work intimately with Extendicare internal resources and communication experts.
- Provide monthly reporting specific to each project. (Budget, schedule, risk evaluations, etc.)
- Review all invoices associated with each project and process in accordance with Extendicare’s requirements.
- Review all requests for scope changes and make recommendation for its approval or rejection.
- Attend Owner-Architect-Constructor meetings as required.
- Liaise with Extendicare’s FFE Coordinator as required to coordinate all aspects of FFE and base building provisions and ultimately the installations and delivery at the applicable time.
- Engage with internal operations prior, during and following construction to ensure that operational considerations, improvements, efficiencies are implemented in a practical manner.
- Engage with internal engineering prior, during and following construction to ensure that operational considerations, improvements, efficiencies are implemented in a practical manner.
- At project close-out, ensure smooth transition with operations & engineering facilities management.
- Ensure compliance at 1-year warranty review with each facility.
- Work with facilities and operations and if necessary, exercise securities that are in place to ensure any defects are addressed.
- Role requires travel to suit the specific needs of a project.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 5+ years of successful project management/construction experience.
- Proven problem management and issue resolution skills.
- Ability to work effectively with others while translating plans, concepts and intentions into actions that will achieve results.
- Ability to proactively share information as well as present information clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing; be an active listener.
- Ability to work effectively within a variety of stressful situations and challenges, and with various individuals or groups.
- Ability to travel extensively throughout the province.
- Must be pro-efficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and Project.
- Pro-efficient with AutoCAD is an asset.
What Extendicare has to offer:
At Extendicare, we believe that working as a team creates an environment that allows us to reach our potential. We value each employee, encourage equal opportunity for growth and recognize achievement. As a valued member of our team, you can expect:
- Continuous mentorship, support for life-long learning and growth opportunities
- Opportunities for advancement and career growth within the organization
- A rewarding and meaningful work experience where you can enrich your life and the lives of others through your work.
- Employee Family Assistance Program.
- Robust benefits package.
Extendicare is a leading provider of care and services for seniors throughout Canada. Through our network of over 115 operated senior care and living centres, as well as our home health care operations, we are committed to delivering care throughout the health care continuum to meet the needs of a growing seniors’ population in Canada. Our qualified and highly trained workforce of 23,700 individuals are united by a dedication to quality care and by our vision of being the best provider of senior care and services in Canada.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Extendicare’s Policies on Accommodation, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of Extendicare’s hiring process.