- 800 – 1600 – Schedule subject to change
As part of the Cornwall Community Hospital, you will uphold the mission, vision and ICARE values in order to create a safe environment for patients, families, staff, physicians and volunteers, recognizing “Patient Safety” and “Our People” as priorities in creating a culture of safety and a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion. Cornwall Hospital is committed to providing an accessible work environment. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment/selection process.
Summary of responsibilities
The Social Worker for the Mental Health Inpatient Unit provides care, support and discharge planning for individuals with acute mental illness. This includes assessment, treatment, rehabilitation and planning for discharge and community re-integration. This position will improve the care of the patients with mental illness in the hospital and establish linkages with community partners which support and/or care for the patients. The Social Worker will provide comprehensive assessment, rehabilitation and treatment to adult patients (16 and over) with serious mental illness and their families. This model of care follows the principles of client centered care within a psychosocial rehabilitation approach. Discharge planning, individual and group therapy, locating and arranging resources, and linking with family and community services are important components of the Social Work role.
• Provide direct support, therapeutic interventions, education and counseling to patients
• Conduct comprehensive Social Work assessments
• Develop and conduct groups as appropriate
• Function as an effective member of an interprofessional team
• Liaise and consult with relevant community agencies and service providers
• Participate in academic activities including: teaching and supervision of students and maintain all requirements for registration with Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW).
• Maintain work load measurement and data collection as required
• Provide education with various stakeholders
• Design individualized treatment plans based on assessed needs in conjunction with the interprofessional team
• Coordinate Mental Health Act forms and Review Board meetings
• Write comprehensive discharge reports with follow up recommendations
• Build effective collaborative working relationships with stakeholders
• Participate in program evaluation and research as appropriate
• Participate in Program and discipline specific committees and task groups
• Work in a manner that is in compliance with staff and patient/client safety practices, policies and procedures
• Ensure a work environment that is conducive to Cornwall Community Hospital’s Harassment, and Discrimination Free Workplace Policy.
• Other duties as required.
Requirements of the job
• Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work ~ required;
• Current registration with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers ~ required;
• Minimum of two years demonstrated work experience delivering a full range of social work services to the seriously mentally ill in the context of an acute care psychiatric inpatient unit ~ preferred;
• Knowledge of relevant legislation including, but not limited to, The Mental Health Act, The Regulated Health Professionals Act, The Substitute Decisions Act, The Health Care Consent Act, and the Personal Health Information Protection Act.
• Knowledge of psychopharmacological and psychotherapeutic treatment methods.
• Strong clinical assessment skills in mental health
• Demonstrated knowledge and skill in providing treatment to persons with an acute and/or severe mental illness.
• Demonstrated knowledge of community resources available in eastern Ontario and across province
• Demonstrated sensitivity and awareness of the stigma frequently experienced by persons carrying a psychiatric diagnosis
• Demonstrated commitment to fostering culturally diverse environment and 2SLGBTQ sensitive care environment
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
• Proven flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced environment,
• Excellent time management, organizational and prioritization skills as relates to client care
• Excellent attendance and availability
• Ability to provide effective patient and family education
• Demonstrated ability to use computer software such as Microsoft Word/Excel proficiently
• Ability to work in and contribute to an evolving program requiring flexibility and adaptability
• Demonstrated excellence in all forms of communication;
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, cooperatively and collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team environment including participation in treatment consultations;
• Commitment to standards of excellence and the concept of accountability;
• Good attendance record
• French language skills an asset